Thursday, May 21, 2015

Scythes of the Emperor Revisted

While filling in spots while my craft room is under construction, windows being rebuilt. I thought my Scythes should get revisited. as I never really showed much beyond one of the scout squads. To get re-inspired I visited one of my favorite websites, The Scythes.com, and found that the owner is moving on to other endeavors for some time. I wish him well.

Anyway, I thought I would start with showing the Scouts again. Remembering that most of the Scythes died fighting against Hive Fleet Kraken, to rebuild the Chapter, Scouts would have to be groomed.


These guys are the first of two Assault Scouts that I have. Each Sergeant has a combo flamer. As for their makeup, their armament is a toss up between shotguns and pistols with close combat weapons. The idea being either two shots before engaging with the shotguns, or one shot and an extra attack with the pistol combo. These squads are designed to harass or dig out units in cover.










I also built up a full squad of Sniper Scouts. This squad can be a huge boost or a huge bust depending on how the dice are rolling that day. Being that a sniper rifle is useful against anything excepting vehicles for the most part, they can really threaten the largest creatures the Tyranids can throw. They can also give Riptides, Wraith Knights, and C'tan issues.


Just to add flavor, the Scythes have incorporated their own Sergeant Telion. I have added veterans throughout the company to give it the mix of rookies and veterans. As many of the Scythes that survived would have definitely earned their veteran status in spades, there would be a lack of generic marines.

 
As for the camo cloaks, this was the first time I tried to do a complex scheme. Each scout had a unique style. They came out okay for me. Knowing now what I didn't know then, I would have added a filter to tie it together. As they stand, I am fairly happy with them. The idea comes across.


I had some extra scouts and decided to make a support unit with a missile launcher and bolters. Potentially this unit could sit on a Storm Scout Speeder in the back field or just occupy an objective.

As for the Scouts in general, outside of the snipers, I tried to make each guy different. Mainly this was accomplished with their head selections. Having each guy looking the same can really lend to a boring unit. The power fist for the Assault Scout is an old terminator power fist. It fit in real well.


2 comments:

  1. Wish I had seen this post before I finished my scouts. I like the support unit with the different heads and the space marine helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of the things you can do when you have a bits box the size of mine. I have some extra heads if you need any. Just let me know what you need and I'll see what I have

    ReplyDelete